Post-Op Instructions Following Scaling and Root Planing
Please read and follow these procedures. They will make you more comfortable and prevent any possible complications.
CARE OF YOUR MOUTH:
- Rinse your mouth 6-8 times per day with warm (coffee temp.) salt water. One teaspoon salt to 8 oz. water. Start brushing and flossing immediately. You may have to go easy at first. If you are prescribed a medicated rinse, it is to be used once per day for two weeks. Also understand that the medicated rinse has some side effects of slight change in taste in food and minor staining of teeth. Both are reversible.
- Your gums may become “achy” and a couple of aspirin will eliminate any discomfort. Sensitivity to cold may temporarily occur. Removing all plague from the tooth and placing a dab of fluoride toothpaste on the “touchy” tooth will stop cold or touch sensitivity in a few days.
- Do most of your chewing on the untreated side. Your next meal should be soft. Avoid spicy or hard food “chippy” food like Fritos, Potato Chips, Popcorn, Etc. for the next few days (3-4).
- Very seldom does swelling or jaw stiffness occur, however if it does, place warm moist towels to the face in the area of stiffness.
- If a dressing is used leave it in please until the time specified by the doctor. Peel it off with a finger nail and brush teeth to remove small pieces.
- Please do not smoke following curettage/root planning procedures. Tobacco smoke is an irritant to healing. Refrain from smoking 24 hours or longer.
If you have any questions, please call the office.