Post-Op Instructions Following Root Canal Therapy
You have just had a root canal performed or started if you do not follow through with completion of your root canal it may lead to the tooth becoming un-restorable. It is possible for you to experience some pain or discomfort, for days after the procedure. Your dentist will discuss your need for medications, or if you experience discomfort, ask for a pain reliever.
- Do not eat on your treated tooth. Root canal treated teeth become weak and brittle.
- You will need to return to your dentist to have your tooth restored to a whole. It will need an inner filling (core) and possibly a pin (screw-like) to hold the core. You will also need a crown (cap) to allow you to use your tooth normally.
- It is highly recommended that you begin restoring your tooth as soon as possible.
- It is hard to predict how long you can wait. Within two weeks is highly recommended.
- If your root canal is incomplete you will need to make a follow up appointment as soon as possible to complete the procedure.