Instructions Following Dental Extractions & Bone Graft
Your mouth has either a gauze, and/or sutures over the surgical site. Do not disrupt. The sutures will be removed in one week from now.
- Keep pressure with gauze over the surgical site for two hours after surgery. Do not change gauze, unless it becomes soaked with blood. If bleeding occurs, wet a fresh piece of gauze with cold water, fold into square and place additional pressure for ½ hour.’
- In order to minimize swelling, place ice on the face over surgical side 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off, for the first 48 hours after surgery. Maximum swelling occurs two days after surgery and then swelling decreases on the third day.
- Have soft foods for the first 3 days after surgery. Avoid excessively hot or spicy foods, but consume good quantities of liquids.
- Do not rinse, spit or drink through a straw for the first 24 hours after surgery. After 24 hours you can rinse with warm salt water (8 ox. Glass of warm water mixed with one teaspoon of salt) 4 to 5 times a day to keep the surgical site clean and fresh. Brush your mouth as you normally do in the areas away from the surgical site.
- In case of pain, 2 Tylenol extra-strength every four hours or children strength as specified will relieve pain. Your doctor probably has prescribed pain medication and/or antibiotics for you. Please take these medications as prescribed on bottle.’
- If you have any questions concerning your well-being after surgery, please contact our office at (212) 222-5225
- If you have received I.V. or oral conscious sedation you must have someone drive you home from the office and do not operate machinery for 24 hour period.