Are you considering Invisalign for yourself or your teen? Invisalign is gaining popularity for a variety of reasons. Adults and teens like the fact that the clear aligners are virtually invisible and also removable so you don’t have to change your eating habits. Invisalign is more comfortable than traditional braces, as the aligners are made of smooth plastic and move your teeth more gradually.
So why doesn’t everyone choose Invisalign? In the past, Invisalign was more expensive than traditional metal braces, which was a deterrent, especially for parents choosing the best option for their children. But now, Invisalign is comparable in price to metal braces, taking cost out of the equation when it comes to choosing the best orthodontic treatment.
Average Cost of Invisalign
The average cost of Invisalign is between $3,000 and $7,000. The average cost of traditional metal braces is $3,000 to $6,000. The only difference is that the range for Invisalign goes a bit higher than braces, but what you actually pay depends on a variety of factors. Clear ceramic brackets and lingual braces (metal braces that go behind the teeth) are more expensive than both traditional metal braces and Invisalign.
Factors that Contribute to the Cost of Invisalign
Not every patient will pay the same amount for Invisalign. Pricing depends on a few different factors.
- Location. Where you live will be a big factor in the cost of Invisalign. You’ll likely find higher prices in densely populated areas with a higher cost of living than in a smaller town or rural area.
- Complexity of Treatment. The extent of the corrections you require will affect the cost. With Invisalign, a series of clear aligners are created at the start of treatment. You switch from one aligner to the next per your dentist’s instructions. The more your teeth need to be moved, the more aligners you will require, and the higher the overall cost will be.
- Time Frame of Treatment. The more aligners you will require to achieve the final result, the longer your treatment will take. Invisalign treatment does include visits to the dentist to monitor your progress. The longer the treatment takes, the more consultations you will require, which will increase the cost of treatment.
- Dentist vs Orthodontist. One advantage to Invisalign over braces is that it does not require an orthodontist to administer. Invisalign is completely created through a computer software program that takes digital images of the teeth and creates the necessary aligners to reach the final goal. A dentist can monitor the progress of Invisalign without a specialist, which saves you money.
- Insurance Coverage. If you have dental insurance, a portion of orthodontic treatment may be covered. In most cases, insurance offers a lump sum amount toward braces, which can be applied to Invisalign in most cases. Having some insurance funding helps to bring down the amount you’ll pay out of pocket.
- Financing. If you don’t have insurance, or if insurance doesn’t cover all of the cost of Invisalign, financing can make your out of pocket cost more affordable. Options such as CareCredit are designed to finance medical costs and allow you to pay them in monthly installments, without interest for 12 months.
Invisalign is Affordable at Smiles on the Upper West Side
If you’re interested in Invisalign in New York City, Smiles on the Upper West Side is a certified Invisalign provider. You don’t have to go to an orthodontist for Invisalign as we offer it in our dental office. Smiles on the Upper West Side provides comprehensive dental services so you can get all of your dental care and maintenance at the same convenient location. We accept a long list of insurance plans and offer affordable financing.