Are you considering a dental implant? Dental implants are most often the recommended solution for teeth that are missing or cannot be saved. Whether a tooth is so severely decayed that it cannot be filled or fitted with a crown, your tooth is cracked or broken beyond repair, or you have a tooth that has been missing for a while, a dental implant can replace it.
A dental implant is the closest possible option to your natural tooth in both function and appearance. It is considered to be the gold standard for tooth replacement, which is why it costs more than a bridge.
How much do dental implants cost on the upper west side of New York City? Here’s what you can expect.
Average Cost of a Dental Implant Procedure
A single dental implant to replace one tooth can cost anywhere from $1,200 to $3,000. Where the actual price will fall within that range depends on a variety of factors.
Factors that Affect the Cost of Dental Implants
It is difficult to determine what the cost of a dental implant will be without a consultation with a dentist because there are so many factors at play, such as:
- Type of Tooth. The type of tooth and where it is located can make a difference in the cost. An implant to replace a back molar will likely cost more than a front tooth because it is more difficult to access.
- The Dentist’s Level of Experience. A well-established dentist with experience and a good reputation in the community may charge more than other dentists. But many patients are willing to pay more for the reassurance of their expertise.
- Location. Where the office is located will help to determine the cost. In a densely populated area with a higher cost of living you will find higher prices than in smaller towns and rural areas.
- Preparatory Procedures. Not all patients are ideal candidates for dental implants right away. An implant requires a certain amount of bone density to hold it in place. If your tooth has been missing for a while, the jaw bone may have weakened and deteriorated over time. This can be corrected with a bone graft procedure, but it will add cost and time to the process.
- Insurance. If you have dental insurance your plan may cover a portion of the cost of a dental implant. However, some plans do not cover implants. Contact your insurance provider before the procedure to determine how much, if any, of the cost will be covered.
Why Are Dental Implants Worth the Cost?
Yes, having the tooth pulled would be cheaper. Yes, getting a bridge still costs less than an implant. However, there are many benefits to getting an implant, such as:
- Natural Look. A dental implant looks as close as possible to a natural tooth. The crown attached to the top of the implant is made to resemble your natural teeth in color, size, and shape.
- Superior Function. Because the implant root securely bonds with the jaw bone, you have the same bite strength as you do with your natural teeth.
- Prevent Bone Loss. When you have a tooth that can’t be saved, replacing it with an implant right away can prevent bone loss in the jaw. If a tooth is lost or extracted and not replaced, the part of the jaw bone that once held it in place will weaken and eventually dissolve.
- Keep Surrounding Teeth Healthy. By replacing a missing or hopeless tooth with an implant, the other teeth in that part of the mouth are more easily maintained. A missing tooth can cause the surrounding teeth to become loose or shift out of place. A dental implant is also healthier than a bridge, because a bridge requires the teeth on either side of the missing tooth to be shaved down and fitted with crowns that hold the artificial tooth in place. You lose healthy tooth material in the process.
These benefits and more are the reasons patients choose dental implants over other options.
Smiles on the Upper West Side Makes Dental Implants Affordable
At Smiles on the Upper West Side, we believe that no one should have to settle for less than the highest quality dental care. If a dental implant is the best option for you, we offer ways to make it affordable. After insurance, the remainder of the cost can be financed through CareCredit with zero interest for 12 months. CareCredit is designed to help patients pay for medical procedures that are not covered or partially covered by insurance.