Losing a tooth can rob you of your confidence. An unsightly gap in your smile can discourage you from smiling, which could lead you to appear cold or unfriendly, or even hold you back in your professional career.
Fortunately, there is a way to replace missing teeth and restore your beautiful smile. A New York City implant dentist can replace the missing tooth without harming any of the surrounding teeth. Tooth implants, also known as dental implants, can even help to prevent serious dental health problems from arising after the loss of a tooth.
What are Tooth Implants?
A tooth implant is composed of three parts: a titanium post fixed directly into the upper or lower jawbone; a crown, which is the visible part of the implant and looks just like a natural tooth; and a metal abutment that connects the other two parts.
A New York City implant dentist can fit a tooth implant quickly and easily under local anesthetic or IV sedation. Recovery from dental implant surgery takes only a few days, during which time you can use painkillers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen to relieve tenderness or pain.
Advantages of Tooth Implants
- Tooth implants look just like natural teeth.
- You will be able to eat your favorite foods without pain.
- Tooth implants are firmly fixed, so can’t slip out of place when you eat or speak.
- Tooth implants prevent migration of your existing teeth into the gap left by the tooth that was lost.
- Tooth implants help to keep your jawbone healthy by transmitting chewing forces down into the bone, which stimulates it to grow stronger.
Finding a New York City Implant Dentist for Tooth Implant Surgery
As with any medical procedure, you want to be sure you are in safe hands when you have a tooth implant fitted. You should choose a New York City implant dentist who has plenty of experience of fitting dental implants to ensure you get the best possible care.
Questions to Ask Your New York City Implant Dentist
Asking the following questions will help you to feel more prepared for tooth implant surgery:
- How long will the procedure take?
- What kind of sedation or anesthesia do you offer?
- What can I expect
- Will I be able to eat and drink right away?
- What are the risks of having a tooth implant fitted?
Contact Dr. Massiah Today for Your Appointment
If you need a dental implant, or would like more information on whether it is the best course of treatment for you, then contact New York City implant dentist Dr. Shaun Massiah at 212-222-5225 today, or fill out a contact form.